Lady Justice Monica Mugenyi serves as the Principal Judge of the East African Court of Justice (EACJ) since July 2015, the first woman to serve in that position. She is also A Justice of the Court of Appeal/ Constitutional Court of Uganda.
Justice Mugenyi is an Executive Professional with over 25 years’ experience largely in the public sector; including 10 years of municipal and regional judicial service, and 14 years as a senior transactional and courtroom lawyer in Uganda.
Lady Justice Mugenyi does concurrently serve as the Chairperson of the East African Development Bank (EADB) Staff Appeals Tribunal.
Justice Mugenyi is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), UK (2019);
She holds a Master of Laws Degree in International Trade Law from the University of Essex, UK (2002); A Postgraduate Diploma, Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre of Uganda (1993), as well as a Bachelor of Laws Degree from Makerere University, Uganda (1992).
Justice Monica Kalyegira Mugenyi was at Gayaza High School from 1983 to 1988, residing in Kennedy House. She was a Dining Room Prefect, a member of Gayaza Singer and the Chapel Choir.
Throughout her career, Justice Mugenyi has been able to demonstrable leadership skills; She has a strong results-oriented work ethos; exemplary integrity, professionalism and accountability; An Excellent communicator, with inter-personal skills, and a formidable team player.
Justice Mugenyi has held the following positions in the past:
- Judge, High Court of Uganda, Sept. 2010 – 2015;
- Manager Corporate Services, Uganda Road Fund, Mar. – Sept. 2010
- Private Legal Consultant, 2008 – 2010;
- Legal Officer, Privatisation & Utility Sector Reform Project (World Bank/ IDA Project), 2002 – 2007;
- Senior State Attorney, Ministry of Justice/ Attorney General’s Chambers, 1999 – 2002;
- State Attorney; Ministry of Justice/ Attorney General’s Chambers, 1993 – 1999;
- Assistant Secretary, Law Council of Uganda (secondment), 1993 – 1995
- Assistant Legal Officer, Action for Development (NGO), 1992 – 1993.
Justice Mugenyi has in the past been a Board Member of the following organisations:
- Legal Secretary, Uganda Road Fund Board, March to September 2010;
- Non-Executive Director, PRIDE Microfinance Limited, 2005 to 2010;
- Non-Executive Director, Uganda Seeds Limited, 2005 to 2008;